Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What is it?

I purchased this "whatchacallit" at an antique shop months ago.  Before I repeat what I was told about this piece, I was wondering if anyone knows...what is it?
Here's another view of this "thing."  (My husband thinks it's ugly.)
Here's a closeup of one of the seats.  I happen to like this mystery item because it's unusual and interesting!
Here's a closeup of the turned "legs."  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this anomaly including what you think it may be, what it is/was used for and any creative thoughts as to what you would do with it.  Please don't tell me you agree with my husband!  Soon I'll post what I was told when I bought it AND I'll reveal how I changed it and where I placed it in our home!

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Cindy, I have NO idea what it is for...but if you look at it dead on doesn't it look like a big SMILE? Ummmm...two seats facing each other....a courting bench? An open air confessional? I give...please do tell- xo Diana

Christie said...

A shoe salesman's bench for helping a customer try on shoes. Remember when they used to do that?

Susan Krauss said...

I believe this is called a gallery rail..meant to be placed in front of a fireplace so one can sit and enjoy the warmth in comfort!

Susan Krauss said...

ooops, I meant it's called a fireplace fender seat and surround!

Mollie@Organization Accessories said...

I have no idea what is it.. but for sure your hubby will surprise in your project.
I'll wait for the result :)

vintageandart said...

Just looking at it l thought it looked like a fireplace surround with seats and then l read the comments and l see a couple of girlz agree...so maybe that's it. Anyway l love it.. the wood turning is amazing, would you paint it l wonder.

Little Susie said...

i have seen these in front of fireplaces in like victoria magazine...i always figured it was something that kept kids safe from getting too close?....i have seen one in an old home, but i now forget if it was someone's private home, or a museum home deal, and it had a bench across the entire front...maybe they were for big roaring fires that would throw sparks or be too hot if one of any age sat too near....who knows. that's my guess about what it is....Susie :)